2.11.2011

you HAVE to try this, it's French!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Les poissons, les poissons, hi hi hi ho ho ho! -- butcher in The Little Mermaid

*Warning, if you don't like stuff that tastes like heaven with a cherry on top, this is not for you.
 I made this recipe the other day and I was a little scared to try it at the beginning 'cause I thought, hmm they're either going to burn because I'll forget about them, or they're going to come out of the oven looking like deflated balloons. I'm happy to say, they weren't! They actually looked decent and I was so proud of myself. Then I tasted one, and I was even prouder. Friends, you need to try this recipe. It's uh-mazeee. AND really easy to make! I'll translate it for ya:

You'll need:

  •  One stick of butter + a little bit more to grease your pans or molds, whatevs
  • 2/3 cups of powdered sugahh + a tiny bit more (you'll need it for decoration)
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup of almonds (you can replace it with anything else, like pecans, walnuts etc)
  •  and a dash of salt!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-Preheat your oven to 410F. 

-Crush your almonds (they don't need to be perfectly crushed, I like them in chunks too, but if you prefer them in smaller pieces, you can use a food processor or a blender to grind them. As you please!)
-In a large bowl, mix the flour/sugar/almonds together. Beat your egg whites until soft peaks form and add a dash of salt to them. Don't forget that by the way! Salt will give it some flava flav'. Once the egg whites are ready, fold them into the flour/sugar/almond batter. Do that carefully though!
-Now for the greasy part. Take what's a little bit of butter and grease your pans. Sprinkle what's left of your powdered sugar inside the pans, it'll make the cakes pretty and cool once they come out of the oven.
-Melt the butter and pour it into your batter. Again, do that calmly. If you're angry at someone, don't do this.
-Once you've mixed the butter into your batter, pour the whole thing into your cake pans.
-Let them cook for 20 minutes!
Voila!
You'll l.o.v.e it. 

29 comments:

Michelle said...

oh la la if it's french it's a must!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Lula. Now I have a puddle of drool on my desk. And I made such a horrendous mess at lunch that I used all of the communal paper towels in the office. Wonderful. JUST PERFECT.

.. which is my way of saying, "Thanks for sharing, chica!"

Adios!
I mean adieu!

Oh, p.s.- I knew it was French before reading the title, because I saw "One stick of butter + a little bit more." :)

Sandra said...

Wow I love bake, so I'm gonna do something like that even if I'm on a diet ;)
Look soo deliciouse!!!
xoxo

agent 0017/shay said...

sounds fantastic! and omg love the chef from the little mermaid :D

My Heart Blogged said...

I am hungry right now, and these aren't helping. They look tasty.
My Heart Blogged

Chrissy said...

Mmh...they look great and extra yummy! Will have to try them!

Theresa said...

That's it. I'll be making this tomorrow. Thanks much for sharing. ♥

Unknown said...

Sounds and looks delicious.
~Giselle
http://www.machinewashwarm.blogspot.com

Riss said...

This sounds delightful! Seriously. I'm going to make my roommate make this for me hahah

Dee Paulino said...

It sounds delicious. Look at me, I am cheering you and clapping on the other side of the screen. So proud of you chica!!

I tend to burn things because I forget about them (I have burnt clothes in the drier and numerous recipes), but it's ok. One day my brain will function like the brain of an adult--- until then, I will keep burning my things with no remorse. Sorry Mom, I will work on it.

Laura Wynn said...

oooo, so fancy! :) Can't wait to try these!

Ashley said...

Sounds amazing! I need to try these like now! :)

Ashley said...

Sounds amazing! I need to try these like now! :)

Anonymous said...

well it's french. i hvae to try.

where you have all those different wirting types from? i looooove them all! :D

hugs, coco.

AriadnaBach said...

i have to try it! it looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

you have an amazing blog!!!! I love how fun is to read your "about me" the things you post here are fun and interesting!!! I'm so glad I came across your blog!!! I'm your new follower :)
thelilacrose.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

They look amazing. If only I could cook!xx

Veronika Novotny said...

oh my goodness, it looks like a little piece of heaven! AMAZING, this sounds like a must try recipe. I love FOOD just as much as FASHION! ;-) Thanks so much for the lovely comment on my blog, yours is lovely (adore the photography) consider me a new follower. xx veronika

Dee Paulino said...

Head over to my blog for a little surprise.

I am not sure if you like participating in blog awards, so don't feel obligated to play along, xo.

B the mermaid said...

looks delish!

mermaidnotebook.blogspot.com

kelley @ the eclectic owl said...

That looks delicious! Thank you for the recipe! I may be making this one for my sweetheart some time soon ;)

Shay said...

Well, shoot I tasted heaven before and didnt like it;-) Jk, I nnneeedd to try this, it sounds scrumptous!

Sherry Lou Studio said...

i am SO baking tomorrow. Your photos are super cute and make me want to bake all day everyday! haha.

love
sherry

Unknown said...

Oooh, yummy!

Karrisa_T said...

Oooh! I think I'll try this! I like to make flan and I never know what to do with the egg whites (one can only eat too much meringue and egg white omelette)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Books and Looks

The Suburb Experiment said...

Ha! You made me laugh with the heaven with a cherry on top part. I like that there's not very many ingredients - and very liberal with the butter. Mmmmmm. . .

Jenn

Unknown said...

I am SOOOO jealous that you can read and speak French! I took French for 4 years in high school and 1 year in college and all I can remember is "Je m'appelle Thoa [twa - so people think I'm saying my name is you - anyway]"

PS. I TOTALLY know that line in the Little Mermaid!

the-caramel-lady said...

Ça a l'air délicieux :)
Tu parles français couramment ? :)xxx

My legal name is Krystal said...

looks delish!!

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS