3.17.2011

for Japan

Photobucket
Photobucket

We all know about the earthquake that rocked Japan a few days ago and although this post comes in a little late in relation to these tragic news, I thought I'd still post it for different reasons. I don't know about you but I was (and still am) shocked by what is happening in Japan; by the continuing ravages caused by the tsunami and by the thousands of people still missing. I won't ramble about facts and statistics because my point is not to copy/paste some CNN news article. Something that surprised me (to say the least) when the earthquake hit, was that only a few bloggers showed some sort of sympathy/interest towards what had just happened. I don't know if "sympathy" or even "interest" are the right words for what I'm trying to say here but what I mean is that there were very few bloggers who actually seemed to give a crap about what was/is going on in Japan (and luckily the ones who DID say something about it -whether it'd be on their blogs or on their Twitters- are my blogging friends, yayy). I'm absolutely not implying that every blogger in the world should post a sad article about Fukushima, but it's a little shocking to me that some people don't even acknowledge it. Especially on the day it was all unfolding. Excuse me, but I don't think it's normal that you ask yourself whether you should eat ice-cream or not when you know that four nuclear power plants could potentially melt down. And don't say that you "didn't know". That would be even worse. This just made me ask myself what the purpose of blogging was. I mean, sure, we post about our daily lives; some post about crafts and others about fashion, but not saying a single word about events such as the one happening in Japan? what does that say about you? That it doesn't affect you or your daily life? It seems selfish to me. I know that our words alone won't save Japan or prevent people from dying, but it is a sign of empathy and a sign of support. I am in no way a hero because I'm writing this, it's not like I'm gonna break out my Superman suit, fly out in the sky and magically find all the missing people and stop the radiation, because I still need to sew some buttons on my new costume. Kidding.
Anywho, I'm not attacking people here, I'm just reflecting on this matter. And with those last words I feel professional. 
If you have any thoughts about this please share!

Just to end this post on a more pleasant note, don't you think that Anderson Cooper the guy from CNN looks like an elf? Stephen Colbert calls him the CNN Elf and I think it's genius. 

31 comments:

Rebecca said...

I actually agree with what you're saying. I mentioned it on my blog a few days after the event but on the day it actually happened, I mentioned it a few times on my Twitter.

I'm really glad that somebody on blogger has addressed this.

melissa said...

I LOVE this post. The photos you added are amazing and your words are amazing. I agree with you 100% with people not event acknowledging it at all. How is that even possible? I had someone comment on my post on my blog saying they had no idea about what happened until they read it. How is that even possible???

I am behind you 1 million percent on this!!

I love Anderson Cooper, he's actually a funny guy...but yeah, he is a bit elf-ish? hehe

Lots of love friend & thanks for posting this!! These things have been on my mind a lot lately as well!

xoxo

Morgan said...

I personally have not been able to blog about this because I haven't found the words to express myself. I plan to use a good portion of my paychecks for the next few weeks to donate as much as I possibly can. I've also been talking to a lot of my friends and family, it's just hard to use my voice in the blogosphere, I suppose. But I totally understand where you are coming from.

♥ Nadine said...

I totally agree with you! I was wondering about this by myself but I explained it to myself with this:
everybody knows about what's going on in Japan. I mean, who can't know about this because it's constantly on the news and everything. I guess, everything kept going on in the daily routine because this is something that helps as well to cope with such things. I mean, when it comes to myself, I blog because I want to have a few minutes of a kind of break from the world and so I enjoyed reading about all those random/normal/routine things happening at your lives.
I know that in comparism all the problems we have ("What do I wear today? Oh no, I dropped some sauce on my shirt! Where do we go for dinner?") are kind of first world luxury problems...
And I can tell you (I don't want to defend myself, just to let you know...) that I'm totally not unaffeceted and uncaring about what's going on. This little country was hit so in the past and now this. I just read a massive article in a German magazine and I cried my heart out when I saw the pictures and ...
I read about this "Day of Silence" in blogger world which is going on tomorrow and I already am prepared to take part in this one - and I want to share a letter two Japanese fellow students of mine (I don't know them personally) mailed to all of us.
Phew, don't know what to say else. I mean, I already wrote an essay. I wish we could help by putting on a superman suit (though I'd prefer the superWOMAN suit) and just fly there and start cleaning up the mess...
Have a nice day!! xo.

♥ Nadine said...

I'm sorry, lot's of mistakes. Hopefully you still understand what I meant. I was in kind of a rage ... <3

Isa said...

Ás vezes não é por indiferença que não se comenta uma catástrofe desta dimensão, é por não sabermos o que dizer, por sentirmos que as palavras são banais perante um acontecimento tão terrivel.

Gostei muito deste post.
E gosto do Anderson Cooper.
Mas concordo que ele tem qualquer coisa de "elfish"!

Beijinhos

S.M said...

Hell Yeah !

And that, my friend is just why I subscribed to your blog in the first place.

I try not to think about Japan, because it makes me feel sad. And then I feel Guilty.

May God keep the Japanese safe from worst disasters, May they all find new homes, jobs and lives. May they find the things they lost and be thankful for what they have.

:(

Gertrude said...

I agree with this post! Personally I only mentioned it briefly, cause words can't even express how heartbreaking the situation is. Though I'm sure that even those who did not mention anything in their blog posts still contributed and helped in some way or another (or at least I hope so!). But if there were people who took the matter lightly as if nothing happened, is plain irresponsible, as these are human beings just like we are. And they are suffering a lot, and still are unfortunately!

HettyA said...

I completely agree and was in shock at the lack of interest in most poeple. And actually found people saying we should focus on the US before we worry about Japan. I couldn't people people were so heartless. That's why I blogged about a great way to give to a charity of Japan. People need to open their eyes to what is going on in this world and not stay in their bubble.

ching said...

i love these collection of photos for japan. it bother me that people only start praying when a disaster strikes, we should really start praying everyday and help each other out while we're at it.

agent 0017/shay said...

some people are completely unconcerned with all of it; its shameful the way some people have brushed it off at school. Its a tragedy! and although I haven't mentioned it on my blog, I can say the people of Japan have been in my prayers <3

Isa said...

Contei-lhe que antes de começar a "Madame Butterfly" no Kennedy Center, a directora do Center dedicou a opera e todas as actuações que se seguirão ao Japão?
E que se tocou o Hino Nacional Japonês, no meio de um silêncio impressionante?
Foi mesmo, mesmo comovente.

And now in English:

If you want to help, make donations to the Red Cross. They always do a great work in the field.
Donate to the American Red Cross at 800.RED.CROSS or www.redcross.org.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

I agree with you. But for some poeple (like me) it was hard to express exactly what is going on in my heart into words. I didn't write about the tragedy because I honestly didn't know what to say. But it doesn't make me any less caring. I also can see why some people wanted to keep their regularly scheduled blogs because it helps people cope with their feelings and escape for a little. I dunno...its hard. I definitely think there is no excuse to not be educated on what is going on. I understand where you are coming from, and love your courage.

Chrissy said...

Wonderful post!
It is so devastating what happened! I have no words to describe my feelings! I wish I had a magic wand to fix everything!
But, all I can do is donate and trust that they will get the help they so badly need!
Thanks for this! Wonderful!

AriadnaBach said...

I agree with some comments here that is difficult to find the words to write about such a huge tragedy. It's so hard to keep the tears away. But no word, no tear can bring all those thousands of deaths back to life. And if I contribute to help the tragedy somehow, I prefer to do it economically which at least is more useful.

On the other side: I find it a little hypocrit: who does remember Haiti? or the last Tsunami in Indonesia? or the starvation and lack of water in too many countries of the "third world"? Those people also need our help, not only Japan.
I think people get very involved when a tragedy happens, but then after a while they forget it too easily.

To finish, I totally agree with you Lula, when a tragedy like this happens, it makes you to think what is really worthwhile in our lifes and what is such a banality.

Hugs.
Ariadna

Francesca said...

I do agree with you. I only briefly mentioned it in my blog. Not because I don't find it upsetting or horrifying. But I'm a journalist student and I spend literally hours watching the news and it gets very depressing. I feel for those people there, and I admire their strength and resilience. I don't think I'd be able to handle these events as calmly as the Japanese have.

SAMANTHA said...

Beautiful post. Japan is in my thoughts and heart.

Anonymous said...

I think the assumption that people don't care or are brushing it off as unimportant because they have not blogged about it is a very large one to make.

I personally have not blogged about it. I have two friends over there, plus another person who is from my department who we couldn't get in contact with for a number of days. I am very concerned for them and the danger is not nearly over with the radiation concerns. But I dont think putting up a post saying so is necessary. If people dont know about it or don't know how to donate, it is likely that even if I did post and make them aware that they wouldn't do anything anyway.

I would much prefer to send off notes of support to my friends in Japan. And I think thats more beneficial to let them know that I care about them, rather than put it on a blog post they won't read. Luckily - they will be back soon.

But to be made to feel guilty by reading posts like this (there have been a few) is horrible. Also making people feel like they should blog about it will lead to an influx of half hearted posts - simply because it is the right thing to do. And yes I have posted other things since that have not been related to Japan. But I am showing my support in other ways

Anonymous said...

Also the state I live in is 99% a disaster zone at the moment due to 2 natural disasters in 2 months. Sometime is it nice to distract with trivial things. Because if you dont - you cry.

lindsay said...

you speak so well in regards to this subject. thank you for this post and pointing out what is really important! it is a very serious situation and one that should not be brushed off like it is nothing. everyone has their own way of reacting, but to ignore and or be so far removed from the situation at hand in my opinion is inexcusable.

thank you again for highlighting such an important topic! hope you have a great evening!

Anonymous said...

wow. I'm so glad you actually spoke about the tragedy and your real and candid thoughts on Japan. I feel like it's all too easy to say something simple and the truth is much harder for people to digest. Tragedies like this are so crazy, they make us feel all sorts of emotions and sympathy is the most prominent but there is also fear, hope, panic & a whole other cocktail of emotions that result. I felt scared, I was worried for people I know. Then I made sure they were okay and I was relieved. Then I felt guilty for being relieved because of all the people who weren't so lucky. Then I felt panicked that 'what if' something happened to me? to us? to america tommorow? the next day?
Then I felt hopeful. Hopeful that this tragedy will bring us closer together and appreciate what we have all the more. That we will give a little bit to help a lot. That we will stop being ignorant of things outside our own little private bubbles.
xx

Anonymous said...

just because a blogger doesn't mention it, doesn't mean they didn't acknowledge the earthquake. sometimes us bloggers leave news as this out because we figured it's already on 52343594254 blogs, why repeat what everyone else has already said? a blog doesn't showcase every detail a person cares about and vice versa.

Anonymous said...

this is such crap. pure crap. talk about insensitive.

Anonymous said...

AMEN ANONYMOUS!!!!

But to be made to feel guilty by reading posts like this (there have been a few) is horrible. Also making people feel like they should blog about it will lead to an influx of half hearted posts - simply because it is the right thing to do. And yes I have posted other things since that have not been related to Japan. But I am showing my support in other ways

March 17, 2011 6:51 PM

I'm unfollowing right now...peace out.

Victoria said...

I chose not to blog about it because I don't have the words to explain what I feel. I posted on Facebook to make people aware and I donated. I understand the motivation behind this post and do feel that it's important that bloggers are aware of the impact they have but everyone reacts in their own way. My blog is my outlet, just as your blog is yours. I just hope that you keep that in mind. I love your blog and will not be "unfollowing" you, that's kinda silly. I'm a little confused by the anger in this post but everyone gets fired up about different things.

I hope that the anonymous posts don't get you down.

Victoria said...

Thank you for stopping by and explaining! I really have no negative feelings about you or your blog. I did just post because it did get me thinking. If you haven't donated yet, which, I'm sure you have, I put a link up on how to do it. If you want to share it on yours, feel free! It's at firstgiving(dot)com

Erin Girard said...

Initially I didn't post about Japan because I didn't want to come off as a holier-than-thou, but after reading what you wrote I scheduled a post for tomorrow about donating. I realized that bloggers have a position that's more powerful than your average Joe when it comes to igniting action, and it's times like this that we can use it for more than just giveaways.

Thanks for speaking up!

Laura Gerencser said...

I agree that posting about what miley cyrus did on the day it happened probably isnt the best thing. But posting about something, isnt gonna do shit. If you (or anyone) does something BECAUSE you read or wrote a post about Japan, great! It feels good to be inspired to action. But JUST posting about it, and carrying on with one's life isnt gonna accomplish anything... it just makes people feel guilty. And wouldnt you rather they donate because they WANT to not because they were guilted into it?

Emalise the Fox Charmer said...

I haven't posted about Japan for the simple reason that I can honesty find no words. That does not mean that I don't care or that I'm electing out of it because it is a situation bigger than myself. Or that I'm just completely ignoring it. Instead I've spent my time reaching out to friends and family who have been effected by the disaster and have donated (and collected information on other ways to donate) because I feel like that is the best way for me to use my time and energy as regards this catastrophe. I've always believed in that saying that there is a time and place for everything and I have noticed some appalling insensitiveness towards what has happened. (Ie: people saying it is pay back for Pearl Harbor, ect.) There is a time and place to express one's opinions and there is a time and place to reach out. I'm grateful for those, such as yourself, who are reaching out in their own way. Everyone will do it differently but I do agree on one thing: no one should be ignoring this or the other countries in the world (ie: Haiti) that still need assistance and prayers.

Dee Paulino said...

I absolutely agree with you. I made a donation to the red cross. What happened in Japan was so very tragic, everyone should be able to help, whether it is with spreading the word or making a donation.

Ira Mency said...

I blog about everything from green living to vintage plastic, but when it came to Japan I was honestly, immobilized. Speechless. Saddened. That may seem little coming to you but it's coming from a published book author like me, and I never was at a loss for words until now. Ironically, the day in which the tsunami hit the tv, I was hitting "PUBLISH POST" on a fundraiser to help a man whose home burnt down last August, someone I didn't even meet, in Iowa. The fundraiser of course to help him is going okay, but 99.9% of donations are going to Japan right now and understandably so. I don't have the words for people who have lost everything or saw their families or everything they worked for get swept away. Hundreds turned into thousands will turn into tens thousands missing and this is so sad. Even on top of that, I think what I can't bring myself to blog about is the impending doom gut wrenching feeling I get from Japan: that four reactors later this sadness is not yet over, not for them, or for the rest of us. How do you put that into a blog post to your fans? Even if the nuclear "charged particles" are going up over Japan, the earth spins on an axis. I for one don't want to glow after eating my corn. So just because we don't talk about it, doesn't mean we don't care.

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS